Makalu Base Camp Trek (4,870m/15,978ft ) - 20 days
Among the most remote and less populated trekking in Nepal's eastern region is the Makalu Base Camp Trek. The trekking expedition leads you to the base camp of Mount Makalu (8,485m), the 5th tallest mountain worldwide. It lies in the Makalu Barun National Park trekking, which is 2,330sq km in size and is home to 431 species of birds and many faunal species such as Musk deer, languor monkeys, wild yak, Himalayan goat, and wild boar. This region is very isolated and harbors some of the last remaining sections of alpine grasslands and pristine forests in Nepal. The upper part of the area is quite famous for its refined granite cliffs crowned by hanging glaciers, bursting with waterfalls. Simultaneously, the lower outreach is renowned for the lushness with tropical rhododendron forest with about 45 species of Orchids and 56 types of rare and endangered plants.
Makalu Trekking Package
The Makalu Trekking Package is a 17-day tour that offers a remarkable occasion to experience Nepal's godforsaken nature and culture. Satori Adventure's program has to enable orthodox acclimatization at greater heights and proper use of the exploration period around Makalu Base Camp. The starting point of the Makalu trek is Tumlingtar village (400m). It is a small airstrip that connects to Kathmandu by flight. The trip takes 10days to get to Base Camp (5,500m) from Tumlingtar. The pathway then follows the Arun River valley via an assortment of cultures and ecosystems. The Makalu Base Camp Trek is an excellent opportunity for tourists who wish to relish the pukka life and snowy mountains while journeying across one of Nepal's isolated regions. The people who reside in the Makalu region are predominantly Sherpa, Rai, and Shingsawa or Bhotia farmers. Although transcended by infrastructural development and poverty-stricken, they still maintain a rich cultural tradition. Aside from the local people's incredible hospitality, their traditional and cultural celebrations are fascinating. As we proceed further up, we get a chance to see elusive snow leopards and blue sheep, which are part of the endangered species enlisted on the IUCN.
How to prepare for the Makalu Base Camp Trek
- Having a previous trekking experience is an added advantage since you will be familiar with the challenges you may face and how to deal with them. Therefore it is almost a guarantee that you will enjoy your Makalu trekking experience all the way, even when the second part of the trek becomes strenuous.
- If it is your first time trekking, you need to be in excellent health condition to manage the trek's strenuous bits; nonetheless, the rewards are phenomenal as you'll have the chance to appreciate the beauty of the enormous Himalayan range.
- Necessities are essential. Makalu trekking in Nepal is a complete camping trip with all the conditions being carried by local porters from day 1 of the trek.
- A permit from the Department of Immigration and Trekkers Information Management System (TIMS) is essential for this trip. Satori Adventures will organize this.
Facts of the Trip
Highest access: 4,870m/15,978ft
Duration: 20 Days
Group Size: 01-10 persons per Group.
Co-ordinates: 27°53′0″ N 87°05′00″ E
Location: makalu Region
Airport: TIA (Kathmandu)
Departure From: Kathmandu
Grade: Moderate+ fairly Strenuous
Accommodation: Three star to five star as request
Meals: During The Trek (B,L,D)
Transportation: By Tourist / Private vehicles/ Flights
Best season: (Autumn)September to December and (Spring)March to May
Major Activity: Trekking/Hiking
Include Activity: Sights trips of Kathmandu
Culture: Sherpa, Tamang
Mode of Travel: Tea House/Camping
Himalayan sights: Makalu, Everest, Lhotse, Chamlang and Kanchenjunga.
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu Airport and transfer to request
category hotel accommodation in Kathmandu (1350M/4430ft).
Day 02: Fly
from Kathmandu to Tumlingtar (50mins) and drive to Num (1980m/6496ft, 06-07hrs) lodge/camping
Day 03: Trek from Num to Seduwa (1500m/4922ft, 06-07hrs) lodge/camping accommodation.
Day 04: Trek from Seduwa to Tashigaoun(2100m/6890ft ,06-07hrs) lodge/camping
Day 05: Trek from Tashigaoun to Khongma Danda(3500m/11483ft, 06-07hrs)
Day 06: Exploration and Acclimatization day at Khongma(3500m/11483ft, 06-07hrs) lodge accommodation.
Day 07: Trek from Khongma to Dobsto (3650m/11975ft, 06-07hrs) lodge/camping
Day 08: Trek from Dobute to Yangle
Kharka (3600m/11811ft, 06-07hrs) lodge/camping
Day 09: Trek from Yangle Kharka to Langmale Kharka (4410m/14469ft, 06-07hrs) lodge/camping accommodation.
Day 10: Exploration and Acclimatization
day at Langmale Kharka,(4410m/14469ft) lodge/camping accommodation.
Day 11: Trek from Langmale Kharka to Makalu Base Camp (5018m/16464ft,06hrs) lodge/camping accommodation.
Day 12: Trek from Makalu Base Camp to Yangli Kharka (3600m/11811ft, 06-07hrs)
Day 13: Trek from Yangli Kharka to Dobato (3650m/11975ft, 06-07hrs)
Day 14: Trek from Dobute to Khongma (3500m/11483ft, 06-07hrs) lodge/camping
Day 15: Trek from Khongma to Seduwa((1500m/4922ft, 06-07hrs)lodge/Camping
Day 16: Trek from Seduwa to Num (1980m/6496ft, 06-07hrs) lodge/camping
Day 17: Drive from Num to Tumlingtar (04hrs) lodge accommodation.
Day 18: Fly from Tumlingtar to Kathmandu (30min) transfer to request category hotel accommodation in Kathmandu in B&B Plan.
Day 19: Free day for shopping and explore
around Thamel, farewell dinner with culture program In the Evening.
Day 20: Drop to airport for final departure, or Join
Price For the Trip
- The cost of this trek depends on the group size.
- The cost can affect the numbers of Guides and
- The cost depends on request category hotel accommodation in KTM.
- mode of trekking(camping or Tea house).
- The Itinerary can be change on your desires.
- The Itinerary mentioned above is from Airport to
- The Itinerary can design according to your
Budget and time.
contact us for up to Date, Cost and the Duration.
The services we provide in the package
- To ensure your safety and avoid the natural panic of people entering a new destination for the first time, Satori Adventures provides pick-up and drop services from international and domestic airports on your arrivals and departures.
- Representatives of Satori adventures will be waiting for you on arrival at both domestic and international airports with a Satori banner with your placard so that you can easily find our person. Satori's identity card will accompany the person for your confirmation.
- According to the above trekking package schedule, Satori Adventures will arrange Three nights demanded category (from tourist star to five-star) of hotel accommodations in Kathmandu.
- Satori Adventures will provide Experienced and government authorized (licensed holder) high altitude trekking guide during the trekking period.
- Surface transportation will only be included during the trekking and major city for members as per the itinerary.
- According to the schedule program, Satori Adventures arranged regular flight tickets from Kathmandu to Tumlingtar and Tumlingtar to Kathmandu for trekking members and guides.
- Apart from Camping trekking, Satori Adventures Will provide you with a lovely tea house (except chain hotels) to stay in and eat during the trekking.
- Most of the trekking trail, lunch is done on the way between the starting and ending the day of hiking while dinner and breakfast at the tea house where you have your overnight stay. Satori Adventures provides a clean and fresh breakfast, lunch, and dinner with tea/coffee at the tea house's menu throughout the trekking.
- We will provide clean and warm down jackets and sleeping bags during the trekking, taking care of your comfort and health to not have a cold problem and do not weigh too much on international flights.
- Satori Adventures allow up to 15kg of personal trekking equipment per person during the flight onboard and the trekking period carried by porter or yak or mules.
- As Makalu Base Camp is at the Makalu Barun National Park territory, Satori adventures provide you a permit for Makalu Barun National Park.
- The Trekkers' Information Management Systems permit issued by the trekking agency association of Nepal is required to enter the area of Makalu Barun National Park and restricted area permit, so Satori adventures provide you a TIMS permit too.
- As far as possible, we will provide you weather reports throughout the trekking period.
- Satori Adventures provides all wages, clinical, equipment, and accidental insurance for all elaborate trekking staff.
- We provide first aid medical kits for the group and the staff, taking care of your climbing and health safety.
- Trekking trails are often inaccessible and far from information, communication, and transportation in the Himalayas, so that information communication is a significant factor for safety and a successful trip. That's why Satori Adventures provides satellite phones with your trekking guide in case of emergency required.
- During your trekking, satori adventures offer you clean, Nutritious, and fresh food at the tea house.
- Satori Adventure always has a concern and top priority about our trekking guides, cooks, porters, and involved trekking staff safety during the period of trekking. For this reason, we always do medical insurance, helicopter evacuation insurance, and treatment insurance for all engaged staff with a reputed insurance company.
- For your convenience, we always provide maps of related trekking trails.
- The above offer price includes our official service charges, government charges, and all taxes and vat. Except for the above amount, there are not any hidden costs charged by us.
- If you need any assistance with departure information, Flight ticket reconfirmation, Visa extension procedure services, Satori adventures fully support you without any charges.
- We want to offer you to have dinner with us before you departed from Kathmandu. It will be an opportunity for you to see and learn about Nepali culture and tradition. Thus, satori adventures offer you farewell dinner at a typical Nepali restaurant with a cultural show in Kathmandu before departure.
Before your departure, as a memory of your lifetime experience, Satori Adventures would like to handover Satori T-shirt/Pashmina and Brochure.
Things you need to manage yourself in the package
- Kathmandu is Nepal's capital, and since this place offers high quality and delicious food from different countries and groups, we were hoping you could taste the food you like. For that reason, during your stay in Kathmandu, you will have to arrange lunch and dinner (except farewell dinner) yourself.
- Suppose you want to take any packed food, snacks, aerated drinks, energy drinks, mineral water, and carbonated soft drinks, any types of alcohol, cigarettes, chocolates, and nutria-bars during the trek. In that case, you have to buy it yourself as a customer often requires these items during the trekking. No, and there is no guessing how much it will take by the client and its cost.
- Expenses incurred towards usage of Items of personal nature trekking equipment, laundry expenses, tips, Landlines, mobiles, walkie-talkies, satellite phones, and the internet service exclude in the package. You have to pay for it yourself when you use it.
- Trekking is, in itself, an adventurous activity that always takes place in remote areas. So, safety is the primary factor for us. Therefore, you have to have your travel insurance covering the cost of emergency rescue, medical treatment, medical tests, and hospitalization before you arrive for the trip to Nepal.
- The package cost offered above does not include your international flight ticket and Nepal's tourist visa, so that you have to pay for your international flight ticket and tourist visa yourself.
- Any extra expenses arising out of various/unforeseen situations like natural disasters, landslides, political disturbances, strikes, changes in government regulations costs exclude in the package cost.
- Additional costs for extra workers then what we have included in the package.
- The short sentence, "The services we provide in the above package cost inclusive," will cost extra if you want additional services.
- Employees involved in your trekking are hoping for tips, gifts, or something at the end of the trip, which is an opportunity to say how happy you are with our staff and what kind of service you have rendered. Your guide and porters expect tips according to the international system in the trekking package for your information.
Price for the trip
Satori Adventures has not able to include the cost of each package in the company website. Many of our clients have the same query: why Satori Adventures has not included the price in the package. To provide you service in reasonable cost and attempt to address your each requirement we desired to provide you with some information which directly affects the cost and also helps us breakdown the cost. That’s why, we have decided to clarify our customers that due to following reasons we have not included the cost in our website and package:
- The cost of the trip always depends on the size of the group, category of the hotel accommodation and the client’s desire (budget)
- The included itinerary is a guideline and standard pattern which Satori Adventures advises you. This trekking itinerary can be modified according to your time and requirements.
- The itinerary shall be changed after an understanding between both Satori Adventures and the client. Additional activities could be either added or reduced as per client's request before the confirmation of the trip.
- Price shall be adjusted in our mutual understanding, that is, if the client intends to add some services we shall charge him/her for those additional services and if he/she intends to lessen some services, we shall wave the charges accordingly.
- The itinerary is published in full board operation services for the clear understanding of the client. Among many options such as hotel facilities in Kathmandu and Pokhara, the client can make his/her own choice.
- The cost is also affected by the number of employees‒ guides and porters.
Please feel free to contact Satori Adventures for any information about in your selected package.
How to Book?
How to book holiday trip in Nepal?
Satori Adventures and Expedition aims at giving
proper information to many travelers, trekkers and climbers who have some
confusion regarding the booking process of the trip in Nepal. Satori Adventures therefore desires to
provide guideline for the first-time visitors or travelers so that they can comfortably
start the process to book the selected package legally. Before starting the
booking process we always advise our trekkers, travelers and climbers to
intelligently check whether the company is genuine and whether they are fully
safe to travel in the company’s guidance. We ask them to be acquainted with the
company they want book their holiday trip with. Is the company genuine and
authorized from Government of Nepal, Office of the Company Registrar,
Department of Tourism and Civil Aviation, Nepal Rastra Bank ‒Central Bank of
Nepal (authorized for foreign currency), Permanent Account Number (PAN),
and the Department of Cottage & Small Industries). Are they
financially secured and environmentally conscious? We advise them to make sure
about these formalities because there are some companies in Nepal that have
been running business without abiding by the rules and regulation of the Government.
Some companies were once registered but by now their licenses have already been
expired and yet they have providing the services illegally.
On many occasions, Government of Nepal and Trekking Agency Association of Nepal
have found that many foreigners’ tour operators, NGOs and INGOs have been
involved in directly operating tours, trekking, and mountaineering holiday
adventures without having government license and abiding by the Government
rules. It has been also found that many individuals, freelance guides and
porters have been arranging trips illegally by creating their own personal
We have observed that many trekkers and climbers face a host of problems once
they arrive in Kathmandu as they lack adequate information. Many of
them file complaints to Government of Nepal and Trekking Agency Association of
Nepal for legal action such as the refund of the advanced payment. There is
hardly any justice given to the cheated clients. Thus, so as to prevent all
these probable problems we request our travelers to check the company before
booking any trip to the Himalayas.
To conform and process your trip booking please follow these
- Please select the package itinerary and details from our
website, that is make sure which package you want to book with us.
- At the bottom of the itinerary (end of the page of the package)
you have the following options: Book
now, ask expert, write a review and print. Once you click book now bottom it will l take you to booking page; ask expert
will allow you to e-mail us in case of any query related to the package.
- Our typical itinerary includes transfer from and to the airport.
We can provide you with any type of accommodation‒from budget to 5 Stars. So
please indicate class of hotel you wish us to book or alternatively name your
preferred hotel. You can also state all additional services apart from those
mentioned in the itinerary.
- The web page itinerary is a guideline and a standard
pattern which helps you plan your trip. It can be changed or modified according
to your time & requirements.
- If you wish to expand the itinerary with additional
activities, please let us know by mail. Satori
Adventures builds your customized itinerary with the adjusted price.
- There are many fixed departure dates and itinerary packages
in Trekking and Mountaineering in our package. If you wish to join with our
fixed departure with group, please contact us. The cost in this option is
always pretty low compared to a private trip.
- Before you confirm the trip you have to read and
understand what is included and excluded in the cost. It is also important to
read terms and conditions. If you require additional services which are not
included in cost please mention them all in the booking form.
- Please contact us if you are still unclear about
the information or required service.
- You have to read our Terms and Conditions before you book the trip; it explains to
you the booking timing, the deposit and advance payment requirements, policies,
procedures for cancellation, refund and the payment classification.
- Once we have agreed mutually on itinerary you required and
the price for the trip, you have to send us the deposit to confirm the booking
as specified in our quotation according to our Terms and Conditions.
- Once we receive the advance payment from you, we will
process to confirm your trip.
- Without conformation and advance received we may
not process for Permits, TIMS, Flight Tickets,
Trekking and climbing Guide, Porters and other necessary Staff for
trekking and expedition along with food, transportation, etc.
- With your conformation of the trip and advance payments we
require copy of your travel document (passport), passport size photo, and your
flight reservation details.
- For details on the payments of the trip and time frame you
have to follow our terms and conditions.
Please kindly submit Trip
Booking Form when you confirm the trip with us. It will be easy for us
to process for your trip conformation and prepare all legal processes and
permit for the trip. If you have any query, always feel free to contact
us at any time. We always want to make sure our clients are well
informed before conforming the trip. You are always advised to visit our
website and related package for further information.